Wednesday, November 12, 2014

A Break

Courtney was composing this last post around Oct. 8 2014 when she was at the hospital with Tyler for his choking incident.  She did not get to finish it, because this is when she started getting the headaches. When I have the time to do it properly, I will add final post to her blog detailing her final weeks.
Thanks, Mark



I apologize for not updating more often.  I have had a couple of people ask if there was anything new and there kind of is.  My life is kind of crazy and it's hard for me to find down time that I don't need to use for sleeping.

As I type this, I am on a chemo break.  I started my weekly infusions two weeks after my son's birth, but was only able to squeeze in four treatments before my blood counts (both hemoglobin and platelets) tanked again.  At first, the plan was just one week off and then resume treatment.  When my counts still hadn't come up, I was given a shot called Procrit that is designed specifically for boosting red blood cells in patients receiving chemotherapy.  After the shot, I was given another two weeks off to let the numbers come back up.  After that two week break, I had my blood drawn again and the platelet count had gone up, but the hemoglobin had dropped even lower!  I was scheduled for a blood transfusion the next day.

I had been feeling off.  I had been feeling tired.  I was chalking it up to the chemo accumulation and get getting up 2-3 times a night with a new baby.  I didn't realize that it could be that my hemoglobin was dangerously low at 6.3.  Medical professionals were surprised that I was carry about my normal daily activities.  Now the concern is WHY it is having trouble coming back up.  My doctor has two theories.  Either this specific chemo is too hard on my bone marrow, which is where the blood is made, or there are metastases in the bone marrow standing in the way of blood production.  He's not too convinced on the latter since my white blood cells remained stable and my platelets came up.  It was just the hemoglobin I seem to be having a problem with.  After the transfusion, my level came back up to 10.4.

I have another PET scan scheduled for this coming Wednesday (10/15).  I have been having persistent lower back pain that at first I thought might just be because I've been walking unassisted all the time now.  However, it's not better in the morning after sleeping all night or worse at night after walking all day.  It's pretty much a constant ache.  So doc wants to rule out more metastases.   He also thinks now is a good time to evaluate how my body is responding to this chemo in regard to getting rid of the cancer.  If it has been effective, he may keep me on it and just change my schedule.  If it has not been effective, changing to a different drug will be justified.

I have become a part of a couple of cancer communities since original diagnosis and a couple more since the stage four diagnosis.  I need a place where I can bounce ideas, ask for opinions, and hear the been there done that stories.  Unfortunately, being friends with so many who have cancer means that I see death, too.  More so than in "real life." (Even though I have suffered losses in real life, too.)  I grieve for friends and families left behind.  I grieve for children who are left without mothers.  Cancer STOLE these lives!  Each time, it's tough, but when I see someone who has worn the same kind of shoes as me...

I start to ponder my own death.  How long do I really have?  This disease IS going to kill me (unless I die in a car crash or other fluke accident).  6 months?  A year?  5 years?  Will this new baby know me?  Will my older children remember me?  Will I see my oldest graduate high school?  What about my youngest?  It scares me but more than that, makes me sad.  My family didn't sign up for this.




4 comments:

  1. I can't believe how real this actually is. This shouldn't have happened to such a wonderful person. Her and her family deserve better, they deserve to have her healthy and full of life.......rest in peace dearest Courtney. You will be missed, never forgotten. You'll live in our hearts forever. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. My beautiful daughter died only 15 days after this blog post. Once she was given the news that the cancer had spread into the spinal fluid, she met this news with courage and dignity. She made plans to live with Jesus. She gave both me and Mark instructions for her babies. Her last days were spent with the people she loved. Mark,her brother, her step dad, father and myself kept watch over her and protected her until Jesus took her home. Other special friends and family remained close. She left us in the morning of the 30th. God Bless you forever little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer in August 2010. A valuable friend told me about Dr. Itua Herbal Center in West Africa. She gave me her phone number and email address. I quickly contacted him to guarantee that his herbal medicines will heal my cancer and I will heal forever I said OK.I ask him what is the healing process, he asks me to pay the fees I did and within 7 working days he sent me the herbal medicine and then he asked me I told my friend Gomez about the herbal drug so that he gave me to go and drink it.So after drinking for two weeks, I was cured, I am so grateful and I promise that I will do it I recommend to anyone who has cancer and that that I am doing. Herbal medicine Dr. Itua makes me believe that there is hope for people with Parkinson's disease, schizophrenia, scoliosis, bladder cancer, colorectal cancer, breast cancer, kidney cancer. , Leukemia, lung cancer, skin cancer, uterine cancer, prostate cancer Fibromyalgia,Fibrodysplasia Syndrome, Epilepsy,Sclerosis sickness, Dupuytren's Disease, Diabetes, Celiac Disease, Angiopathy, Ataxia, Arthritis, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, Alzheimer's Disease, Lupus, Adrenocortic Carcinoma.Asthma, Allergic Diseases.HIV Help, Bladder cancer,Brain cancer,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Hodgkin lymphomaIntestinal cancer,Liver cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumorsNon-Hodgkin lymphoma,Cervical Cancer,Oral cancer,Ovarian cancer,Sinus cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Testicular cancer,Throat cancer,Meniere's disease,Thyroid Cancer,Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancerHIV Aids, Herpes, Disease Chronic inflammatory, Memory disorder, Here is his contact information ...... [Email ... drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com. Whatsapp ... + 2348149277967

    ReplyDelete