Sunday, November 25, 2012

The New Drug

Any time I try to seek out answers about experiences (regarding treatments and side effects), I get the overused "everybody is different."  This answer seriously drives me crazy.  I KNOW everyone is different.  I want to know what's normal and usual.  After the first drug (Adriamycin and Cytoxen)wasn't exactly what I was expecting (both better and worse, if that makes sense), I wanted a silver lining.  I had read that the second drug (Taxol) I was supposed to be given was "more tolerable" than the first one.  I read that it didn't make you feel "like a sick person."  I read that it causes mild neuropathy and fatigue.  I also read that it can cause joint and bone pain.

Unfortunately I was NOT prepared for the joint and bone pain I ended up with.  Thursday after the infusion I felt okay, just like all the previous chemo Thursdays.  Friday I actually felt pretty good.  Saturday I woke up sore and it got progressively worse throughout the day.  I went to see a movie on Saturday evening and was so incredibly uncomfortable.  I couldn't sit still in my chair.  It felt like someone had set fire to not only my bones, but my muscles as well.  I walked out of the theater and started crying.

Sunday morning was a bit better but as the day wore on, I was seriously on the verge of excruciating pain.  I alternated the Tylenol and Motrin, but nothing I had in my medicine cabinet even touched the pain.  I couldn't even sleep.  Monday presented the same.  In the morning the pain was tolerable, but by the evening I didn't want to get out of my recliner.  I missed my daughter's parent-teacher conference because I couldn't walk, I couldn't sit, I couldn't concentrate.  Since Tuesday, I've had pain, but it has been more along the lines of the pain I was expecting.  It's manageable for the next month.  And I made sure to ask my doctor for some pain medicine for the excruciating days.

An incredibly generous act that was bestowed upon us was a donation from the breast cancer awareness fundraiser by our high school (alma mater) athletic association.  I never would have expected this help but I am very grateful.  It came at the right time- so we didn't have to choose between paying medical bills or providing our children a Christmas.

5 down, 3 to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment