Thursday, September 13, 2012

The Thing Called Chemotherapy

Well, I had my first infusion today.  It wasn't bad at all being in the chair.  I am SO glad I went ahead with the port, because honestly, my arm veins are already exhausted.  And the port is so easy; they poke my chest, tape it steady, and I'm good to go.  I can bring things to do, I can bring things to eat, I can bring a friend, I just can't bring children.  I will be doing this every other week for at least 4 months.

Right now I feel okay.  I'm starting to feel tired, but I'm pretty sure that's because I had a long day and it's getting close to bed time.  We were told that onset of "side effects" can happen anywhere from the night of treatment to four days later.  I'll let everyone know when mine kick in.  :)  Who's willing to babysit again?

As I was walking with the nurse practitioner, I saw my oncologist in the hall.  He made a point to stop me and tell me that the results from the biopsy on Tuesday were negative.  Woohoo!  So treatment will not change at all.  I do not have cancer in the right breast.  And talking about the nurse practitioner, she mentioned BRCA gene testing.  Because if I am positive for that gene mutation, I might want to think about removing my ovaries, too.  At first I didn't think I even wanted the test, as I already have breast cancer and have already decided on the bi-lateral mastectomy and my daughter will start screening EARLY as well...  But now that she brings up ovarian cancer, I will most definitely be tested.

That's all I've got for now.  Time for me to relax.

1 comment:

  1. If you are interested in more information on brca testing, let me know. My mother in law and sister in law are brca+ and my Dh just tested negative (praise God) my mother in law had her ovaries removed and my sister in law just had a preventative mastectomy and reconstruction.

    ReplyDelete